Dear Regina Community:
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year. As your Athletic Director, I am very excited about the start of another great season as we build upon the hard work and many successes from the previous year:
- Over 70% of our student-athletes participated in at least one sport
- IHSA Regional Championship Game: Soccer, Softball, and Volleyball
- IHSA State Qualifiers: Cross Country, Track and Field
- Multiple GCAC All-Academic Team and GCAC All-Conference Team Members
These are only a few of the many accomplishments from our athletic programs.
Below are a few important topics to be aware of in preparation for the upcoming school year.
Athletic Code of Conduct
Being part of the RDHS athletic program is a privilege and we expect our student-athletes to represent our school and community in a positive and respectful manner. The Code of Conduct is in effect 12 months of the year, including the summer and non-school months. We encourage you to take a moment to sit down and review all aspects of our policy. This can be found on the school website and will be reviewed with all student-athletes each season.
Students are ineligible for all contests if they have any grades of “F” and no more than one grade of “D”. Eligibility checks are reviewed Thursday afternoons. Eligibility is determined on a weekly basis and runs from Friday to the following Thursday.
Athletic Communication Links
The following communication links will serve to inform all of our stakeholders:
- Athletic Website 8to18 – http://il.8to18.com/regina – Email Alerts, Schedules, Links, & Resources
- SportUp – APP Based Attendance Tracking, Messaging Center, Schedules
- Twitter – @RDHSAthletics
The Booster Club is an important partner in supporting our athletic programs that provides many of the needs and wants for our athletic teams.
– Indoor Rental Time – Gymnasium Banners – Table Top Banners
– Coaches Gear – Equipment for West Practice Field – Bowling Team Uniforms
– Basketball Hoops/Backboards – Gatorade Healthy Snack Alternatives – Cross Country and Track Travel Expenses and Dinner
The following resources are free informative courses that are available through the NFHS at www.nfhslearn.com:
- Concussion in Sports
- Heat Illness Prevention
- Sports Nutrition
These are excellent resources and I encourage everyone to view them.
Concussion Management Policy and Guidelines
A student athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury while participating in an extracurricular activity shall be removed from participation or competition immediately.
Any student athlete who has been removed from an interscholastic contest for a possible concussion or head injury cannot return to that contest unless cleared to do so by a physician licensed to practice medicine in all its branches in Illinois or a certified athletic trainer.
If not cleared to return to that contest, a student athlete cannot return to play or practice until the student athlete has provided her school with written clearance from a physician licensed to practice medicine in all its branches in Illinois or a certified athletic trainer working in conjunction with a physician licensed to practice medicine in all its branches in Illinois. While removed from all extracurricular activities, it is state and school policy that all student-athletes begin action steps for recovery through Return to Learn and Return to Play concussion management programs until the student athlete has been entirely cleared.
Additional Resources and Information on RDHS Athletic Website 8to18 including:
- IHSA Concussion Video
- NFHS – Position Statement on Anabolic Steroids
- NFHS – Supplements Position Statement
- IHSA Pre-Participation Physical Form
- And many more…
I encourage you to join me, and the rest of the fall coaching staff at Regina Dominican on Wednesday, August 2nd at 6:00 p.m. for Fall Sports Parent Meeting.
Good luck this year and GO PANTHERS!