2016 was a busy year for the Leadership Institute. We have summarized some significant accomplishments and highlights below. If you would like any additional information about the list below or the Leadership Institute in general, contact Linda Liang, Leadership Institute director.
The Leadership Institute Scholars program has 27 scholars who achieve high-grade point averages to qualify for the program. The Best Project awardees and their topics were as follows:
- Nora Loftus, “What are HIV and AIDS, and what is their status in the United States, Swaziland and Kenya?”
- Alexandra Sweilem, “How does colon cancer develop and what are the associated risk factors?”
- Sherril Vallikalam, “Does cardiovascular fitness improve over nine weeks of a daily physical education program with two to three workouts per week?”
Outside Recognition for Scholar
Nina Menon, one of our Leadership Scholars, was invited to attend the Kennedy Forum Corporate Leadership Breakfast and Community Forum on December 6, 2016, through her involvement with Mental Health America North Shore.
The Leadership Institute launched the RISE Program for all students interested in practicing leadership skills. The Regina Dominican Leadership Model, which forms the basis for the program, is grounded in the Dominican values of Caritas (love) and Veritas (truth). The program consists of special projects in the core competencies of the Leadership Model, which are:
- Authentic Self-Confidence
- Joyful Learning
- Compelling Communication
- Global Citizenship
Young Leaders Workshop
Forty-five eighth-grade students attended the Young Leaders Workshops on December 1 and 12. The icebreaker helped the girls to get to know each other, and they complete team building and global citizenship exercises.
2016 Keynote Speakers: Speaker Series
- Dina Bair is a WGN TV anchor, reporter and Emmy award-winning journalist. In 2013, Dina traveled to Italy to cover the election of the new Pope and reported live from Vatican City. She spoke for the Junior High Leadership conference, which was attended by over 80 students from neighboring schools.
- Lina Sergei Attar is the Co-founder and CEO of Karam Foundation, a nonprofit institution that provides creative therapy, holistic wellness and entrepreneurship programs for displaced Syrian children.
- Elizabeth “Dolly” Duffy is the Executive Director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and the Associate Vice President for University Relations.
Mentoring Pilot Program
A Mentoring Pilot Program kickoff was held December 21, 2016, to encourage college-age Regina Alumnae to mentor Juniors at Regina Dominican High School regarding their college selection, application and interviewing processes.